|By Chinwendu Nwani and Comfort Awaji-Ikanminsan
Lawmaker representing Surulere I in the Lagos State House of Assembly, Desmond Elliot, has denied allegations that he spearheaded the 2025 impeachment of Speaker Mudashiru Obasa.
Speaking on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Tuesday, the actor-turned politician said he neither initiated nor coordinated the move against the Speaker.
Elliot stated that he was خارج Nigeria when lawmakers removed Obasa and only appended his signature after returning to discover that most members of the House had already endorsed the action.
According to him, the issue had already been resolved before his return, with Obasa retaining his position as Speaker.
“I did not mastermind anything,” Elliot said. “The only thing I did was append my signature when I came back and saw that many lawmakers had already signed.”
He also revealed that President Bola Tinubu later distanced himself from the impeachment attempt, saying he neither authorised nor knew about the move.
Elliot’s remarks followed claims by the President’s Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila, who suggested during an APC stakeholders’ meeting in Lagos that Elliot was among those behind the political crisis that nearly cost him his seat.


